B3 and melanin distribution

I came across something very interesting the other day. There was a new Indian grocery store that opened in my neighborhood. I checked out the personal care section and they had this vitamin supplement called Fair and Lovely. In it was vitamin B3, which they claimed if taken on a regular basis would help keep the skin lighter. They said that the distribution of melanin is controlled by B3. (Google their website for more info.) I'd never heard this before, but poorly digested grains, those that are not soaked or fermented, especially corn, do not release B3. It made me wonder if it is poorly digested grains causing a deficeincy in B3 that may cause problems with pigmentation such as vitiligo. We need B3 and shouldn't think taking it out of our diet will give us the pigmentation we are looking for. Rather I think B3 out of whack may strangely distribute melanin as is the case with vit. It's a little confusing, but I thought I'd throw this out for others to think on. I know that the more grains there are in my diet, the more I have trouble w/ my thyroid. I was just wondering if those of you with active vitiligo eat a lot of grains. Many people I've spoken w/ who have weight trouble and hypothyroidism tend to have symptoms reside with fewer grains in their diets. In the book Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon explains how poorly prepared grains are making people sick. The product Fair and Lovely connected the dots for me the other day. Would love to hear from everyone on this.

You need to be a member of Vitiligo Friends to add comments!

Join Vitiligo Friends

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rakesh,
    Actually, I have a different answer on the "hungry" question. When I was on the pH Miracle diet and exercising regularly w/ T-Tapp, I got down to a weight that I was happy with and then decided to add more grains back to my diet. This really didn't work very well. I did start to gain weight w/ the grains. I now have a few pounds to lose. When I get back to that weight, which should be a week or two, I plan on adding grass-fed and finished beef and more oils instead of grain.
    V.
    • But beef is again deviating from the Ph diet isnt it.From our perspective we shouldnt start on meat right now till we reach the ideal pH and start to repigment right.

We have the ph strips and my wife alkaline most of the time now but when she checks the ph in the morning she gets back to the acidic state any idea why?

She also drinks milk thistle drops in warm water twice a day
      • Did u try the noni concentrate as a supplement.

Thanks
  • I did see this on a website about lightening creams, "Niacinamide is commonly known as Vitamin B3 and is an effective skin lightening compound that works by inhibiting melanosome transfer from
    melanocytes to keratinocytes. " If B3 is somehow not being released properly, maybe this has something to do with areas on our skin having trouble making the transfer.

The website with this info is: http://www.whiterskin.com/skin-lightening-ingredients.html
  • Fair and lovely is a very common cream in india where a lot of people want to be fair but i really dont think this cream works may be the priciple behind it may be right
This reply was deleted.